Search This Blog

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Yves Saint Laurent Mondrian Inspired Dresses

Having just got back from San Francisco De Young Museum where the Yves Saint Laurent Exhibition was held, I was motivated to check out the some ads or editiorials with YSL dresses. Found this ad in L'Officiel October 1965 Issue (also on display at the museum). YSL's wool jersey dress was a tribute to Piet Mondrian's painting: Composition II in Red, Blue, and Yellow, 1930.

Another block version from YSL, September 1965 Queen magazine:
He demonstrated a feat of dressmaking, setting in each block of jersey, piecing in order to create the semblance of the Mondrian order and to accommodate the body imperceptibly by hiding all the shaping in the grid of seams.

About Piet Mondrian:



1 comment:

  1. I love this dress! I'm having my mom - an amazing seamstress - recreate the dress for my daughter. But we're having a hard time figuring out what the back of the dress looked like. Every photo we find is of the front. Can anyone tell me if the back was simply a reflection of the front or if it was a different configuration? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete